We Have All Lost Our Way by SKU

£125.00

Add to cart

This limited edition print was specially commissioned by the Saatchi Gallery for the 50 x 50 II exhibition at the Gallery in January 2017.

Edition of 36

Signed and numbered by the artist

3 Colour Screenprint on Somerset Satin 300gsm Paper

Sheet Size: 50 x 70 cm

Supplied unframed

Accompanied by a Saatchi Gallery Certificate of Authenticity

More details

The combination of word and image is a staple of advertising and propaganda. It is the dramatic impact of these two media that inspired SKU to create this work featuring Vladimir Lenin.

"Propaganda usually employs word and image to convey a very strident, clear and explicit message: 'Do This', 'Fear Them' or 'Love Us'. Everything, words and images, tend to be black and white in terms of their intention and meaning. I wanted to create something that utilised the visual language of propaganda but reflected ambiguity...how very not black and white the world really is.

I wanted to take a stong figure and subvert the strength with tears and emotion - to utilise an icon and the visual language of power to communicate a more nuanced message that might be open to various interpretations."  - SKU

The artist usually includes a number of symbols and references in his work. We could only prise out information on two items featured in this work. Firstly, the upper quote was inspired by the song 'Evil (is going on)' by Howlin' Wolf. Secondly, the combs and hairdressing scissors on Lenin's tie refer to the fact that Lenin spent a year in London in 1902-03 during which he met with like-minded comrades above a pub in Islington. The group sought to avoid the attentions of the authorities by maskerading as 'The League of Foreign Barbers'

2017 marks the centenary of the Bolshevik revolution in Russia.

SKU is an artist who lives and works in Walthamstow, north London. In his own estimation, he is 'the greatest artist that no-one has ever heard of, and I share that distinction with only 1.2 billion other artists'.

No customer comments for the moment.